Chakra Series: Root/Muladhara Chakra
by Lena Schmidt
You know those times when you feel safe, grounded, and at home in your own skin? That’s a sign that your Root Chakra is balanced! The Root/Muladhara Chakra is our connection to the Earth element and the earthiness of our own bodies. Physically this energy center might be felt at your feet, ankles, legs, knees, and tailbone. An imbalance in this energy center could manifest physically as a tightness in your hamstrings or legs, lending itself energetically to a general sense of “stuckness” in your life, or alternately as excessive flexibility in your legs, lending itself to a general feeling of instability in your life.
Here are some ideas to bring balance to your Root Chakra:
- Wear the color red
- Stretch and strengthen your legs and feet
- Go for a hike in the trees
- Walk on the beach
- Garden or tend to indoor plants
- Eat fresh fruits and veggies
- Sama Vritti Pranayama (even inhales and exhales)
- Compost your food scraps
- Advocate for the environment
- Set clear boundaries with people
- Act in alignment with your values
Root Chakra Affirmation: I AM. All of my basic needs are provided for, I am at home on this earth and in my skin. I am safe.
Check back soon for the next in our Chakra Series: Sacral/Svadistana Chakra.