Five Office Yoga Exercises You Have to Try
Are you stuck at a desk all day staring at a computer screen?
Making office yoga a part of your work life can keep you fresh and revitalized through the day. The exercises take a few minutes. They are ideal for addressing job-related strains the neck, shoulder and back muscles, which leads to tension and stiffness. The exercises can be done together or one at a time. They take only a few minutes.
Suggestion: If you are wearing tight, uncomfortable shoes remove them before starting the stretches. You may also wish to first loosen your neck tie or scarf, and remove a tight jacket or sweater.
Here are a five office yoga exercises from The Art of Living you can try for a start.
- Close your eyes.
- Let your chin drop down to your chest.
- Begin the circular motion of your neck slowly, by moving the right ear to the right shoulder, taking the head backwards and then bringing the left ear to the left shoulder.
- Keep your shoulders loose and relax.
- Rotate your neck 3-5 times and then switch directions.
- Keep your feet on the floor.
- Bring both hands on your knees.
- While inhaling, stretch your back backwards and look towards the ceiling.
- While exhaling, stretch your back forward and drop your head forward.
- Repeat this exercise for 3-5 breaths.
Seated Forward Bend
- Push your chair away from your desk.
- Remaining seated, keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Take your arms behind the lower back, keep your back straight and interlace your fingers behind your back.
- Bending forward from the waist, bring your interlaced hands over your back.
- Rest your chest on your thighs and relax your neck.
- Stretch your arms straight in front of your body and parallel to the floor. Palms facing the ceiling.
- Cross your right arm over the left (bend your arm slightly at the elbow if needed). Bring both palms together.
- Lift both elbows. The shoulders slide down your back.
- Repeat this exercise with the left arm over the right.
Seated Spinal Twist
- Sit sideways in your chair.
- Place your feet flat on the floor.
- Holding the back of the chair with both hands, twist your waist to the right towards the back of the chair.
- Turn to the other side. Repeat this exercise a few more times.
- Keep your elbows on your desk and place your hands on your temples.
- With small circular motions gently rub your temples first clockwise and then anti-clockwise.
- Do this for 10 – 15 long deep breaths.
Thanks to The Art of Living for these inspiring yoga practices. Image courtesy of imagerymajestic at FreeDigitalPhotos.net