How Tea Can Contribute to Your Wellness Routine
Photo By: Haneburger (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
By Emily Ruth
I love nothing more than to come home after a long day and put my legs up the wall (vipariti karani), and then have a cup of tea. Honestly, I love to start my day with tea. Turns out I just love tea and as a yogi and yoga teacher I drink tea during cleanses for nourishment and in my day-to-day life to support my body through the transitions of life and the seasons. Here are a few of my favorite teas that I hope will help to support you on your path.
CCF tea: Cumin, coriander, and fennel seed tea is a great detox tea to start the morning.
– Fennel has fiber & reduces cholesterol.
– Coriander seed (cilantro) is rich in iron.
– Cumin seed supports immunity.
– Boil and let simmer for 10 mins. Make a big batch to save in the fridge. Add ghee and local honey. Why? Ghee is clarified butter that is more easily digestible for lactose issues, and helps to coat the digestive tract. Local honey supports the bees (yay bees!) and helps to support seasonal allergies.
– The herbal chai blend in the bulk section at People’s Co-op in Ocean Beach is my favorite (clove, ginger, black peppercorn, cinnamon, and cardamom).
– The warming spices aid in digestion, are anti-inflammatory, and are a nice alternative to coffee.
Emily Ruth is a 200-RYT and teaches Sunday evenings in North Park. Read more about yoga, Ayurveda, and her travels at her blogemilyruthwanderingheart.blogspot.com.