Live Stream Yoga and Social Justice Book Club – FREE!
with Lena Schmidt
Date: Saturday, February 5, 2022 Time: 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Live Stream via Zoom
Join Lena Schmidt for this FREE book club where we’ll deep dive into the relationship between yoga & social justice, brainstorm action steps for positive social change, and build community in the process. Anyone and everyone is welcome to this FREE offering!
The Zoom link will be sent to you the day before the event.
February’s Topic: Yoga + Cultural Appreciation & Appropriation
Book: Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of T. Krishnamacharya by T.K.V. Desikachar with R.H. Cravens
A message from Lena:
Looking forward to connecting with you and fellow yoga practitioners in our Yoga & Social Justice Discussion Group!
This is an opportunity for us to take our yoga off our mats and into our daily lives and communities. We’ll come together in a discussion about the topic: Yoga + Cultural Appreciation & Appropriation and share reflections, insights, wisdom, and questions.
Each topic includes suggested resources and material. We suggest that you read some or all of the book, check out any of the additional resources that spark interest, take note of any reflections you have in the process, and then come to our discussion! We’ll share together, brainstorm action steps for positive social change, and build community in the process.
Questions to consider, meditate on, and makes notes about which will guide our discussion this session:
- How connected do you feel to the roots, history, and traditions of yoga?
- In what ways do you, knowingly or unknowingly, appreciate the roots of yoga?
- In what ways do you, knowingly or unknowingly, appropriate the roots of yoga?
- How does connecting to the traditions of yoga and its teachers relate to advocating for social justice for you?
- What could it mean to decolonize your yoga practice?
- Article: “What is the Difference Between Cultural Appropriation and Cultural Appreciation?” By Susanna Barkataki Link: https://www.susannabarkataki.com/post/what-is-the-difference-between-cultural-appropriation-and-cultural-appreciation
Black-owned bookstores to consider buying from: https://nonamebooks.com/Bookstores
Support local bookstores and purchase a copy here: https://bookshop.org/books/health-healing-and-beyond-yoga-and-the-living-tradition-of-t-krishnamacharya/9780865477520
Learn More about the Teacher: Lena Schmidt