Teaching Mindfulness to Children
What Students Are Saying About The Training
"I felt like it was a wonderful balance of helpful information combined with hands-on teaching practice." -L.P.
"The teachers are wonderful. The pace was fine; content was great and I loved working with the other students." -P.P.
"I loved the information about what resonates with kids at certain age points." -M.V.
A Message From Sujantra and Kelly
Thank you so much for your interest in Pilgrimage of the Heart’s Meditation and Mindfulness for Children and Teens (Ages 5-18) Teacher Training. We are thrilled to offer this program, which will bring profound insight and awareness to your own Meditation and Mindfulness practice and enable you to teach these skills to three distinct age groups: Early childhood: 2-6yrs; middle childhood 6-12yrs; and adolescents: 12-18 yrs.
“It is important to teach mindfulness to children because it gives them healthy coping mechanisms to deal with stress. Children have stress in their lives just like adults. In our modern society, stresses often come at us uninterruptedly, which gives us no time to reset and re-balance our bodies and minds. Learning mindfulness gives children the capacity for increased creativity and insight and also the ability to relax and re-balance themselves. " -Sujantra McKeever
About the Teachers
This program was developed and is being taught by Pilgrimage of the Heart Founder, Sujantra McKeever, who has over 40 years of meditation experience and Kelly Derouin, yoga and theatre arts teacher who has 10 years of experience working with children and young adults in the San Diego community. She serves as a teaching artist with La Jolla Playhouse, Arts for Learning, San Diego Musical Theatre and the Boys and Girls Club.
No previous meditation experience is required. We welcome everyone who is enthusiastic about bringing mindfulness and meditation into the lives of children. This program is perfect for parents, teachers, childcare professionals, family members and yoga teachers.
In this weekend intensive, which includes time practice teaching in small groups, Sujantra and Kelly will help you learn:
- Basic stages of child development
- Representational Models to teach children to help them understand their moods, emotions and thinking patterns.
- The 9 intelligences and how each child can excell in their own unique way
- Techniques to incorporate mindfulness into daily life;
- Breathing practices for specific age groups;
- Guided visualizations and meditations for specific age groups;
- Movement and activities to regulate physical energy;
- Techniques for children to self-regulate their emotions and behavior
- How to use journaling, crafting, props, visuals, and music as part of the mediation and mindfulness experience
You will receive:
- 6 hours worth of sample lesson plans for all of the various teaching opportunities you may encounter
- Scientific research that validates these tools and techniques.
This training qualifies for 8 non-contact CEUs with Yoga Alliance.
Prior to the start of the program*, please purchase either a paperback copy or electronic version of:
Teach your Child Meditation by Lisa Roberts, RYT, RCYT
Purchase your book at:
*While it is preferred that you have your copy of the book by the start of the program, you may still participate in the training if you do not have it in time.
If you give us notice at least 14 days prior the start of the program that you have decided not to participate, we will refund your money less a $50 cancellation fee.
There are no refunds less than 14 days prior to the start of the program.
We reserve the right to cancel the training. In the event that our training does not take place, all payments will be refunded within 10 days after what would have been the start of the program.